Monday, July 25, 2005

Lance Armstrong Retires After 7 Wins

Home - Livestrong

Well, it's the end of an era. Lance Armstrong, the greatest athlete I will likely ever know, has won his unprecedented 7th Tour de France and is officially hanging up the spandex. It's sad to see him go, but wonderful to know that now he can be a fulltime ambassador for cancer survivors and a cure...and whatever other miracles he can pull out of his helmet.

It's been inspirational to watch him battle through these Tours de France over the years. In 2000, as I rode my bike across the U.S., I remember racing to towns and spending extra layover time in places just be sure I didn't miss it. There's nothing quite like trying to find a bar in the middle of nowhere that will let some kid in spandex with a tent on his bike, walk in and change the channel to CYCLING for three hours :). Towards the end of the race, I even ended up camped in some guy's backyard in Montana for nearly a week.

And now we get to engage in the pointless (yet fun) sport of speculating on who the new champion of cycling will be...my bet is on Ullrich.

The link provided will get you to Lance's LiveStrong foundation. Spend a couple bucks and get a bracelet for yourself and friend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home